Accreditation – The Highest Standards for Success
At Little Tyke, we’re committed to being on the forefront of accreditation so we can continually raise our standards for the care and education of your child. Accreditation is an essential quality initiative for early education and child care.
What is a “Texas Rising Star”?
A Texas Rising Star is a provider who has achieved a state certification for their program. This is a voluntary process where a child care provider can choose to have an outside entity come in and evaluate their program. This evaluation uses a standard set of ten criteria that exceeds the minimum standards required by child care licensing. Child care providers who choose to become accredited as a Texas Rising Star are evaluated annually to ensure they continue to meet accreditation standards. There are three levels of certification: 2 star, 3 star and 4 star. Each star reflects a higher level of quality that has been achieved by the provider. A four star provider has meet the highest quality accreditation.
The TRS criteria looks at the overall operation of the facility and the experiences provided for children while in care.
The criteria includes meeting the following requirements:
- Compliance with DFPS licensing
- Qualifications for directors and caregivers in licensed child care centers.
- Staff orientation for new employees
- Staff training for licensed child care centers.
- Smaller than minimum standard group sizes
- Written program goals and objectives for curriculum and activities
- Positive caregiver/child interactions
- Appropriate indoor and outdoor environments and materials
- Focus on providing a healthy and safe environment
- Offer nutritious meals and snacks and practice age appropriate meal time routines
- Encourage parent involvement
What It Means to Be A 4-Star Provider
It is “the highest level; provider meets the majority of the criteria and represents the highest quality in the TRS program. Certification is issued for three years.”